Thursday, October 26, 2006

Internet Explorer 7: Firefox Edition

Well, I decided to download IE 7 last night, and I must say that I'm impressed. Leave it to Microsoft to appropriate all the best features of Firefox, and bring them into their mothership. Tabbed browsing, easier image views, add-ons, it's all there. One feature I especially like is the ClearType fonts, which smooth out the text on web pages. There aren't quite enough add-ons yet, but it's still early. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that they really took everything from Firefox, in the kind of way that could lead to lawsuits, if you get my meaning. I suspect though, that Mozilla probably sold the technology to Microsoft, and become part of the Microsoft fold. Who knows. Either way, it's pretty cool so far, and seeing that my system hasn't crashed, I'm sticking with it.

2 comments:

Tully said...

The spouse has put it on her computer, and is slowly converting all their office computers (she's their "IT guy"). If they can go a month or so without trouble, I'll switch. But Gates has fooled me before (WinME, anyone?) so I'm in no hurry.

Rafique Tucker said...

Yes, Win ME was utterly worthless, I'll agree. I'm hopeful about IE 7, though. It seems the Firefox rebellion may have been quelled.