Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wright Is Still Wrong

More on Wright's latest speech, in which he basically says the same hateful things he's said before, just with more bad political analysis thrown in, is forthcoming, but I just wanted to offer up this, via Dana Milbank in the WaPo:

His views on Farrakhan and Israel? "Louis said 20 years ago that Zionism, not Judaism, was a gutter religion. He was talking about the same thing United Nations resolutions say, the same thing now that President Carter's being vilified for and Bishop Tutu's being vilified for. And everybody wants to paint me as if I'm anti-Semitic because of what Louis Farrakhan said 20 years ago. He is one of the most important voices in the 20th and 21st century; that's what I think about him. . . . Louis Farrakhan is not my enemy. He did not put me in chains, he did not put me in slavery, and he didn't make me this color."

First off, Farrakhan did in fact call Judaism a gutter religion, and even if he was talking about Zionism, and I know I should know better considering who we're talking about, but are we supposed to treat that statement as if calling Zionism a "gutter religion" is somehow a good thing? Are we supposed to agree with you, and Jimny "Douchebag Diplomat" Carter, that standing up for Israel is somehow a bad thing? I think not. Farrakhan was wrong then, and he's wrong now, and so are you.

Also, there's this:

Wright also argued, at least four times over the course of the hour, that he was speaking not for himself but for the black church.

"This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright," the minister said. "It is an attack on the black church." He positioned himself as a mainstream voice of African American religious traditions. "Why am I speaking out now?" he asked. "If you think I'm going to let you talk about my mama and her religious tradition, and my daddy and his religious tradition and my grandma, you got another thing coming."

One of the big problems I have with Wright, is his assertion that his brand of preaching and theology represents the mainstream of the black church. I find that assertion ridiculous. The prophetic tradition of black preaching is one thing. Wright's sermons are something else. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if Wright's the only one who preaches this way, but the idea that this is how the black chuch, or the church in general is to function is revolting.

And lastly, there's this, in which he totally throws Obama under the bus, and may cost him the Presidency:

Wright suggested that Obama was insincere in distancing himself from his pastor. "He didn't distance himself," Wright announced. "He had to distance himself, because he's a politician, from what the media was saying I had said, which was anti-American."

Explaining further, Wright said friends had written to him and said, "We both know that if Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected." The minister continued: "Politicians say what they say and do what they do based on electability, based on sound bites, based on polls."

Ouch. To paraphrase the proverb, "My enemies I can handle, God save me from my friends."

Obama needs to cut this guy loose. I mean, he can't totally disown him, but he needs to publicly denounce Wright's views some more, and with more force than before.

HT: Instapundit, Patterico, and Sully

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me feel old, but in a good way. I am probably old enough to be your mother, but when I read your post (I was looking for a specific quote & your blog came up right away)), all at once thoughtful, firm & honest - no hysteria, inarticulate rage or gullibility - I am filled with hope for the future.

Rafique Tucker said...

Ummm, thanks. I think I'm blushing internally :)

Phil 314 said...

Rafique;
Saw your post via booker rising (I'm a frequent visitor there but not a poster/commenter. I also just finished the entire YouTube video of Rev. Wright's Press Club presentation. Though I won't vote for Obama (he's too liberal for me) I feel sympathy for him. Assuming his participation and attendance at his church are sincere (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) it must be hard to have to publicly rebuke his pastor. For me this issue long ago went beyond politics and into the difficult area of how politics can overwhelm the Church.

Chris (from Stubborn Facts)

Rafique Tucker said...

Good point, Chris. I think Obama has struggled with what to do about Wright, and felt he had to break with him, after Wright basically threw Obama under the bus, and refused to reject his hateful comments.

I think Obama did the right thing, and while I'm not naive enough to think that politics didn't palay at least a small part, I do take Obama at his word.