Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Few Thoughts on Cindy Sheehan

I just wanted to post a few thoughts that I've had regarding Ms. Sheehan. She lost her son in Iraq. We all must acknowledge that. I feel for her, and understand that she's suffering. I think she's looking for answers, and in her grief has turned to some unsavory characters for support. I don't mean the people who support on principle, I'm talking about the coalition of fringe anti-war groups that have aligned with her. We all know Michael Moore's an opportunist, but as with Lila Lipscomb, we must acknowledge the very real emotions involved.

Honestly, I don't see the harm in Bush meeting with her again. Having her arrested certainly doesn't help amyone involved. I have no ill will towards Cindy Sheehan, but I think her views on the war are wrong. Maybe all she's looking for is a little more than a "I sympathize with your loss" from President Bush. Maybe she's just trying to cope. I don't think allying herself with far-Left anti-war groups helps either, but maybe she reached for moral support, and these groups were the only ones that stepped up. Of course thsee groups have their own agendas, but I fear she may not know who she's hanging with. Or maybve the fact that these are fringe groups doesn't matter to her. They agree with her on Iraq. The rest is irrelevant to her.

I don't like assuming people's intentions, and I always like to give the benefit of the doubt. Cindy Sheehan lost her son. She's hurting. Many groups sympathize with her, and in their own antiwar sentiment blame Bush and his policies, as she does (I think she's dead wrong, but I understand the emotion). Of course some of thsee groups simply oppose America, and for them, Cindy Sheehan is a political tool.

I'll look past them, though. Despite the fact that I support our efforts in Iraq and she doesn't, my heart still goes out to her and her family. Some people may choose to slander this woman. I will have no part in that. Her son is a hero, and I'm sure all sensible people can agree on that.

No comments: